Sunday, September 8, 2013

Al Capone Does My Homework, by Gennifer Choldenko (ages 9 - 13)

Gennifer Choldenko's series of historical fiction novels set on Alcatraz Island have a large and loyal following in our school. It could be that we can see Alcatraz from nearby streets. But I'm sure what really draws kids to this series is Choldenko's blend of friendship stories and family struggles, with plenty of humor and heartfelt moments.

This month, Choldenko concludes her trilogy with Al Capone Does My Homework. I'm terrifically pleased that my students will love this series finale as much as the others.
Al Capone Does My Homework
by Gennifer Choldenko
Dial / Pengiun, 2013
available at
Amazon
your local library
ages 9 - 13
*best new book*
In the beginning of these stories, Moose Flanagan and his family move to Alcatraz when his father goes to work as a guard at the notorious prison in the 1930s. Now in January 1936, we find Moose Flanagan trying to figure out who set fire to his apartment. His father has just been appointed associate warden on Alcatraz. Could the fire have been set by an inmate who’s trying to get revenge? Another guard who’s jealous that Moose’s father was promoted? Or did Natalie, Moose’s sister who has autism, really set the fire as so many on the island are claiming?

Moose is a character who sinks into my heart. He's earnest but a real kid, one who struggles with his feelings. He's funny, but also thoughtful. He defends his sister Natalie to everyone, but harbors doubts inside. Best of all, my students really connect to him and enjoy reading about his adventures.

I had the great pleasure of interviewing Gennifer Choldenko for this month's Parents Press. You can see the full interview here, but I'm going to share a few snippets:
Scheuer: Bay Area kids have loved the Alcatraz setting in your Al Capone books. How did you first think about setting a book on The Rock?

Choldenko: It actually started in 1998. At that point, I had published one picture book, and I was looking for an idea that might be different enough that it might get an editor’s attention. I saw an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about kids who grew up on Alcatraz because their parents were guards or worked on the island in some capacity. As soon as I saw that, I knew I would write a book about a character like that, because it seemed like so much fun. Right away I signed up to work on the island as a volunteer, so I could get the experience as firsthand as I could make it.

Scheuer: As kids read about Moose’s relationship with his sister Natalie, who had autism, what do you hope they will think about?

Choldenko: I always start out writing a good and true story. I hope kids will respond to that. I don’t try to send a message so directly. Moose comes in part from my brother, because my brother was better at dealing with our sister who had autism than anyone else. To this day, I really admire my brother because he has the biggest heart of anyone I’ve met, and some of that comes through.
Definitely click through to read the whole interview over at Parents Press. You'll also find a wonderful assortment of resources at the Al Capone Does My Shirts site.

The review copy was kindly sent by the publishers, Penguin Young Readers Group. If you make a purchase using the Amazon links on this site, a small portion goes to Great Kid Books (at no cost to you!). Thank you for your support.

©2013 Mary Ann Scheuer, Great Kid Books

1 comment:

  1. I had such a great time with 'Al Capone Does My Shirt' and 'Al Capone Shines My Shoes' so I'll definitely be keeping a lookout for this. (And of course, of course, he'll be doing Moose's homework after the previous chores!)

    ReplyDelete